Let’s take a look back at some of the things that stood out from Week 10 in the National Football League!
– I truly thought the Oakland Raiders were on the verge of sailing away from the AFC West. I was wrong and even more wrong about the way the AFC West could go the rest of the year. Literally ANYONE could be playing in the playoffs come January. Right now, you got to go with the Raiders as the favorites, especially if Carson Palmer can play like that every week.
– San Diego for another week has given up on Norv Turner. I predicted on The Wheelhouse that they would be in last in the AFC West come season’s end and I will hold onto that prediction.
– New Orleans was supposed to be another NFC juggernaut of a team that would compete with Green Bay. The last couple of weeks they have been anything but despite getting a couple wins here & there. New Orleans went from a solid #2 team in the NFC to the #3 team and still slipping.
– 4th and inches on your own 29? C’mon Atlanta. That may have been your only chance at the NFC South now. Punt the ball and believe in your defense.
[adinserter name=”366 right”]- The Steelers are now the best team in the AFC North with a big divisional win against the Cincinnati Bengals. Despite their successes through ten weeks this season, I just don’t see them as a strong team when it’s time to play January football.
– Despite the loss I have loved everything the Bengals have done this season. They are playing with house money and I hope they shake things up a bit in the AFC & the AFC North for the rest of this season. I don’t believe they have “fell off” quite yet.
– The St. Louis Rams defeat the Cleveland Browns in a snooze fest. College football fans of the “red river rivalry” were definitely happy for this one; everyone else could have cared less. No need to muff a 22 yard field goal with the game on the line either.
– The Dallas Cowboys are the team to beat in the NFC East no matter what the standings are currently saying. They are playing on all cylinders on both sides of the ball and in my opinion is the 4th best team in the NFC as of right now. New York: watch out.
– Farewell to the Buffalo Bills once again. I hope they at least finish the year 8-8.
– The Jags get the victory in Indianapolis, but yet again so did the high school junior varsity team before this one as well.
– Six more losses till Andrew Luck! And they now have a 2 game lead in the “Suck For Luck” standings! Go Colts!
– Tim Tebow completed 2 passes. Yet the Broncos won. He is now 3-1 as a starter so far this season. Enough said.
– Kansas City could have easily made a great comeback in the AFC West and taken over this division. They have failed to do so and look like a team that should compete for last place. I can’t believe I’m going to say this but the Raiders biggest competition may actually be the Denver Broncos now.
– Miami wins its 2nd game of the season and clearly does not want Andrew Luck quarterbacking for them next season. They must have been motivated after they saw the new Miami Marlins uniforms.
– I wonder if the Washington Redskins can make a little noise in this “suck for luck
campaign; also so much for “making the playoffs,” eh Rex Grossman?
– John Skelton needs to be the starter in Arizona. He is making Larry Fitzgerald play like Larry Fitzgerald again, something Kevin Kolb clearly couldn’t do. I’m starting to believe that the Kevin Kolb trade with the Philadelphia Eagles may actually go down in infamy…
– “The Dream Team” is now 3-6 on the season. One more loss for the Eagles and it will be time to stick a fork in em.
– Houston is the best team in the AFC as of right now in Week 10. Due to their inconsistency that may all change next week but as of right now they are playing like potential AFC Champions. This is team is clicking and should be with the talent & the schedule they have. Had Arian Foster been healthy all season I believe he would be NFL MVP material (sorry Aaron).
– I think we can stick a fork in the Tampa Bay Buccaneers this season. I predicted they would take a step back from their success last season and they have thus far. Josh Freeman has struggled as of late but it’s a good kind of struggle as I look for him to actually be franchise quarterback material for the Bucs.
– Welcome back to the NFL Chris Johnson and welcome back to the Titans to still being in the run for some playoff contention.
– This was the worst game all season for Cam Newton and I think we can contribute that to his shoulder injury. If the injury is even slightly serious I think the Panthers should shut the rookie down for the year & build off of his successes for this season. Too soon to tell but they shouldn’t play with fire when it comes to their quarterback investment.
– Marshawn Lynch has been pretty amazing to watch the last two weeks and he had a tremendous game against an always tough Ravens defense. Lynch’s success on the field is what helped carry the Seahawks to victory in this one.
– Baltimore has decided to switch roles with the Houston Texans and become the most inconsistent team in the NFL. Had the Ravens played well when they should have this is a team that could be atop the AFC. While they play great against the good teams they never seem to be able to put away the teams below .500. Baltimore needs to turn it around very quickly.
– Man have the Detroit Lions taken a fall from grace the last couple of weeks or what? They have not played great Football since they started the season 5-0 and since losing to San Francisco in Week 6 they have gone 1-3 in their four other games. This was a game they needed to prove to the league that they are for real and sadly failed. Stafford has also not been the same since his injury a couple weeks ago, case in point…4 INTs.
– Chicago is the team that has quietly gotten right back into the forefront of the NFC and is poised for a playoff push as the season starts to whine down. I have never been a big Bears fan because they don’t play “convincing football.” Despite all that they still get the “W” and are in contention in the NFC, don’t count this team out.
– If you are like me there are no more questions that should be asked of this 49ers team. Plain and simple, they are for real.
– A win for the Giants and they could have been cemented as a team that is the 2nd best team in the NFC. With the loss instead they are now possibly peddling backwards as the Cowboys continue to make a charge down in the NFC East. The East is becoming to shape up as a two dog race and I’m not sure if the Giants can hang with “Big D.”
– Don’t count out the Patriots yet as they get the big win against the Jets in the Meadowlands. The Patriots get the win at the right time as they now will have the easiest schedule left to be played in the NFL for the rest of this season. The success of the Patriots from here on out is in their own hands and while they are back in the saddle yet again, I’m not sold on the consistency they will have for the rest of the season just yet.
[adinserter name=”366 left”]- The Jets needed this win and they failed to get the job done. Right now I believe the Jets are on the outside looking in when it comes to the AFC Playoffs. While it’s only Week 10, they needed this win pretty badly in the grand scheme of things for their 2011 campaign.
– Green Bay improves to 9-0 on the season and gets their first real convincing win this year by holding Minnesota to 7 points and posting 45 on Monday Night. For most of the season Green Bay has put up huge numbers on the offensive side of the ball but the defense had a tough time holding down their opponents. Granted it was the Minnesota Vikings but if Green Bay can continue this trend they may be a very dangerous team for the rest of the year.
Join Bower, “The Sweet Nasty” Chris Cause & myself every Sunday for more NFL & Fantasy Football talk over at www.wheelhouseradio.com!
Jeff Peck is the producer for the “Wheelhouse Radio” program that airs every Sunday at www.wheelhouseradio.com.
Jeff also co-hosts “The Still Real to us show” with Eric Gargiulo which can be available at www.wheelhouseradio.com and can be downloaded in the “Real Guy Radio” section of the site.
You can follow “The Champ Jeff Peck” on Twitter at www.twitter.com/therealjeffpeck you can also follow Wheelhouse Radio on twitter at www.twitter.com/thewheelhouse and you can e-mail them @ [email protected]