WWE.com is wrapping up the year online with its lists of the best of 2011. One list in particular that is getting a lot of attention is the WWE top 25 matches of the year. If the intention was to provoke mass chaos from the IWC, well mission accomplished.
Unlike a lot of my fellow breather I don’t tend to overreact to these WWE lists. To me, every list you’ll see on WWE.com is both subjective and political. To put it simply, voting for anything other than Triple H vs. The Undertaker as Match of the Year may be just enough to get you fired in Stamford. Hence, take this list for what it is and live with it.
At the same time, it is always fun to look back and debate the merits of year end awards. Everyone’s tastes are different (as you can plainly see on our very own WWE Year in Review here on the website) so to me, nobody necessarily has the right answer yet it is very easy to come up with some unpopular ones.
Let’s take a look at the list of top 25 WWE matches of the year in order as posted on the website and see what, if anything can be read into it.
24. Yoshi Tatsu vs. Tyson Kidd from NXT
23. Edge vs. Kane Last Man Standing match on SmackDown
22. CM Punk vs. The Miz vs. Alberto Del Rio TLC match from at TLC
21. Randy Orton vs. Cody Rhodes Street Fight on SmackDown
20. The Miz vs. John Morrison Falls Count Anywhere match on Raw
19. SmackDown Elimination Chamber match at Elimination Chamber
18. Randy Orton vs. CM Punk Last Man Standing match at Extreme Rules
17. Alberto Del Rio vs. Rey Mysterio on Raw
16. Randy Orton vs. Dolph Ziggler on Raw
15. Mark Henry vs. Daniel Bryan Steel Cage match on SmackDown
14. Randy Orton vs. Wade Barrett Tables match at TLC
13. CM Punk vs. Rey Mysterio at Capitol Punishment
12. The Miz vs. John Morrison vs. John Cena Steel Triple Threat Cage match at Extreme Rules
11. Mark Henry vs. Big Show at Vengeance
10. SmackDown Money in the Bank Ladder match at Money in the Bank
9. Edge vs. Dolph Ziggler at Royal Rumble
8. The Rock and John Cena vs. The Miz and R-Truth at Survivor Series
7. The 40-man Royal Rumble
6. Christian vs. Alberto Del Rio Ladder match at Extreme Rules
5. Rey Mysterio vs. John Cena on Raw
4. Raw Elimination Chamber match at Elimination Chamber
3. Randy Orton vs. Christian from Over the Limit
2. CM Punk vs. John Cena at Money in the Bank
1. Undertaker vs. Triple H at WrestleMania 27
It is hard to argue with the top three, although I do have an issue with the RAW Elimination match making it in the top five over the SmackDown match. It may not have been as glamorous, but that SmackDown Elimination Chamber match was worlds better than the RAW match (in my opinion), and those final ten or so minutes with Edge vs. Rey Mysterio may have been the best ten minutes in a WWE ring all year.
I am thrilled to see the recognition that Christian vs. Randy Orton from Over the Limit is getting on the WWE website. As you can see in our WWE 2011 awards blog here, that was my vote for Match of the Year. I also have no problems with Rey Mysterio vs. John Cena landing in the top five. I wouldn’t even have a problem if someone wanted to make a case for number one.
Now the debate over one and two will be one you will read on many pro wrestling forums and blogs over the next week. For me, I enjoyed Triple H vs. The Undertaker more than Punk vs. Cena. The atmosphere for Money in the Bank was second to none, but the match didn’t do a whole lot for me. Take that match and put it in another ring and I think it would have been average. Take the WrestleMania 27 match and put it somewhere else and I think you get the same thing. Again, it is a matter of taste and for me I’ll go with the WrestleMania 27 match.
So what do you think of the list? Did they miss anything? Do you agree with their top pick? If not, what was or are yours? Leave a comment and let’s spark some debate!