Ricardo Rodriquez may have a chance to reunite with Alberto Del Rio sooner than he expected. Unfortunately it won’t be in the WWE as the company officially parted ways with Del Rio on Thursday.
“WWE announced the release of Alberto Del Rio due to unprofessional conduct and an altercation with an employee.”
There aren’t a whole lot of details out about the alleged altercation but there are a number of rumors floating around. According to several unconfirmed reports, Del Rio had a physical altercation with someone who works on the website or in social media for the company. At some point the altercation turned physical which resulted in Del Rio being terminated.
On the surface this seems like an overreaction from the company. At the same time the WWE is a corporation and corporations have zero tolerance for that kind of behavior. This could also be as a result of a lawsuit a former employee brought against the WWE last year which alleged that he was attacked by the Big Show.
Del Rio spent five years with the WWE. He came into the WWE in 2009 with a big contract and high expectations. Del Rio immediately started off his tenure with a bit of controversy. Del Rio had told media upon signing that he would go directly to the main roster, yet he did wind up going to FCW and spent some time in FCW before heading to the main roster.
Del Rio received a mega-push when he came up to the main roster. Del Rio was reportedly Vince McMahon’s favorite wrestler on the roster during that time period. Del Rio won the 2011 Royal Rumble and went on to wrestle Edge at WrestleMania 27. Timing worked against him here as Edge got hurt and plans to put the WWE world heavyweight title on him were scrapped and he wound up moving to RAW while the company figured out what to do with him. Unfortunately bad timing would be Del Rio’s biggest obstacle and rear its ugly head again.
Del Rio finally bounced back and won Money in the Bank. He was just starting to get his momentum back when something happened nobody expected. The Summer of Punk knocked Del Rio right out of his spot. The company hit on something that summer with CM Punk and Del Rio was once again an odd man out. Del Rio eventually won the title but the fans wanted Punk and Del Rio’s momentum had finally come to a screeching halt.
Unfortunately for Del Rio he was never able to capture that magic he had on his way to WrestleMania 27. Numerous start-stop angles and feuds relegated Del Rio to just a “regular guy” on the cards. Even his big babyface turn was botched when after turning him babyface the company booked him in a match against John Cena, turning him babyface again but this time against perennial jobbers 3MB. Many have called this one of the worst booked babyface turns in WWE history.
Del Rio has bounced around from mid-card to headliner in recent years yet again never reaching the level of success he had when he arrived. Somehow he managed to creep back into the main-event recently at Money in the Bank. It had been rumored that Del Rio was planning on leaving when his contract expired in the near future. Some are already citing that was the reason for the WWE’s short leash on Del Rio as a result of this incident.
That said it is a big loss to a company who is struggling to find top heels. Del Rio may not have been a top guy but he was a heel you could plug in at any time. It should also be pointed out with Rey Mysterio’s career winding down, the company is now even more desperate for a Latino star.
Don’t be surprised to see Del Rio and Rodriguez hit the convention circuit in the near future.
[amazon_link id=”B00JHH1YAW” target=”_blank” container=”” container_class=”” ]WWE The Paul Heyman Story[/amazon_link]