I almost feel the need to be pinched so I can wake up from this crazy dream! The Bills finally snapped that losing streak against the New England Patriots, the Lions came back from 20 points down to beat the Vikings, the Jets defense got shredded by the Raiders offense, and on the cover of a gossip magazine Kim Kardashian said she is “already tired of marriage”. Ok that last one may be nothing more than tabloid nonsense, but a guy can still hope!
So after 3 weeks, the NFL is gone all “Bizarro World”. The mighty teams like Philly, Indy and Atlanta are reeling, while upstarts like Detroit, Buffalo and Oakland are coming up huge. We never thought we’d see Tom Brady throw 4 INTs did we? Not to mention lose a 21 point lead, but like I said, it’s the Bizarro World!
Well, once again it is time for the Power Rankings, as I size up where all 32 teams currently rank after 3 weeks of action. Pay close attention however, as this can all be blown to bits in, well a week. Read and enjoy football fans and good luck in week 4.
32. Kansas City Chiefs (0-3): At least they made it interesting this week, or did San Diego kind of forget there was a game going on? Did Matt Cassell ever get that hat on?
31. Indianapolis Colts (0-3): Did you ever think you’d hear this phrase “The Colts defense is keeping them in the game”? The offense is hurting badly right now.
29. St. Louis Rams (0-3): Just when we thought it was safe to trust the Rams, they jump out to an awful looking 0-3. Still have more talent than 32-30 though.
28. Cincinnati Bengals (1-2): Wow, this fell apart really fast! Andy Dalton became a rookie that fast. Cedric Benson should volunteer to serve that suspension.
27. Minnesota Vikings (0-3): They know how to take leads, they just don’t know how to hold leads. Now Adrian Peterson is getting discouraged too.
26. Seattle Seahawks (1-2): Well Tavaris Jackson got the last laugh, for now anyway. He has more wins than McNabb.
25. Denver Broncos (1-2): This team is, well, Denver. From one down to the next you never know what you are getting.
24. Jacksonville Jaguars (1-2): Now it’s Blaine Gabbart’s turn to run this offense. Funny, the results don’t look very different.
23. Arizona Cardinals (1-2): Kevin Kolb has the same record as Mike Vick, is that impressive or does it show 2 teams struggling?
22. Carolina Panthers (1-2): Starting to find nice things. Far from ready, but they can compete.
21. Chicago Bears (1-2): Mike Martz may have finally worn out his NFL welcome. This offensive scheme looks kind of “offensive”.
20. San Francisco 49ers (2-1): Just about anybody can be 2-1 this year huh? If they played anyone besides the Bengals last week, they may have been crushed.
19. Philadelphia Eagles (1-2): I’m not kissing this teams butts based on free agent moves anymore. The schemes are not working, and Vick is getting pounded.
18. Cleveland Browns (2-1): They are not pretty, but they are 2-1.
17. Atlanta Falcons (1-2): Reputation means nothing in the NFL. It is clear that you have to show up, and the Falcons are not.
16. Tennessee Titans (2-1): Imagine if Chris Johnson was contributing! Hasselbeck may just have a little something left.
15. Washington Redskins (2-1): Hey, I found the real Rex Grossman! A beyond battered Tony Romo and a mediocre kicker was enough to do them in.
14. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2-1): The defense looks like it did in the Monte Kiffin days. Now they have to find the stride on offense.
13. New York Giants (2-1): The usual “hot/cold” Giants thing is currently on “hot”.
12. Dallas Cowboys (2-1): Could easily be 3-0. Romo showed heroic guts Monday night and it’s rubbing off on his teammates.
11. Houston Texans (2-1): Come on, admit it, we all were excited when they were winning this past week. Looking much improved here.
10. San Diego Chargers (2-1): Norv Turners offense has a new hero each week. This week’s here is Ryan Mathews. Ok so who is week 4’s hero?
9. Oakland Raiders (2-1): Darren McFadden is no joke, and neither are these upstart Raiders. Their only loss was a last minute defeat to 3-0 Buffalo.
8. New York Jets (2-1): Rex Ryan joked about Joe Namath as his back-up QB? Or was he serious and hoping he’d start at QB?
7. Pittsburgh Steelers (2-1): They have great speed at WR, but not much at RB, or defense. Somehow they remain real tough.
5. New England Patriots (2-1): They may have just got caught up in how great they are, at least they hope. They will be back soon enough.
4. Baltimore Ravens (2-1): They bounced back to take care of business, like the real Ravens.
3. Detroit Lions (3-0): Where have you gone Barry Sanders? No need, this is “Mega-Tron’s” town now. Can they run with the Packers?
2. Buffalo Bills (3-0): Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas and Andre Reed have been replaced by Ryan Fitzpatrick, Fred Jackson and Stevie Johnson? It is Shocking yet true. Their winning streak against the Patriots is at 1.
1. Green Bay Packers (3-0): With no disrespect to the other top teams, this is clearly a no-brainer. To be the champ, you have to beat the champ.
If you’d like to hear anything else from me on topics or ideas I can be reached at [email protected]