Let’s take a look back at some of the things that stood out from Week 1 in the National Football League!
– If Tony Romo ever thinks he will be Super Bowl winning Quarterback then this could be the final season he has the chance to do so. After a big win over the Giants on Wednesday night he certainly appeared like he can be that Super Bowl winning QB that many people believed he could be.
– The Giants Week 1 loss actually is the best thing that could happen to them. New York is successful when they appear to be “human” but are really a top elite team in the NFL in “disguise.” Getting that first loss makes them appear human again where they can now disguise themselves as the defending Champions and take full advantage on their opponent.
– Good opening game for Andrew Luck and proved to me that he was the right choice for Indianapolis (despite what happened in New Orleans).
– How frustrating was that win for Eagles fans? I know a win is a win but I feel like most Philly fans wanted them to lose after that game…
– I know we typically talk about head coaches on the hot seat but why not Team Presidents as well? Think Mike Holmgren needs to see this Browns team improve? If he wants to keep his job for next season then he does.
– Why did New England fall completely under the radar with their Week 1 win? I guess we could say it was expected but the way they were able to win and do so with a solid running game (Stevan Ridley rushed for 125 yards), I believed the defending AFC Champions deserved some more spotlight. I’m sure that will be coming their way in a positive way soon enough.
– How disappointing where the Tennessee Titans this week? Chris Johnson did NOTHING for the Titans offense and Jake Locker got hurt in the Week 1 game. I wonder if the Titans could be one of the worst AFC teams this season, especially if Week 1 is a sign of things to come.
– Welcome back the “Greatest Show on Turf II (Atlanta edition).” Matt Ryan looked fantastic in yet another season where he needs to prove himself while Michael Turner is showing his age in the Week 1 game. Turner’s performance has to be a concern for Falcons fans as it could be the dawning of a new era lead eventually by Jacquizz Rodgers.
– Kansas City has a lot to work on and they are one bad season away from possibly blowing this “Patriots-light” organization up.
– Adrian Peterson is not human. Eight months ago he tore his ACL, eight months later he rushes for 84 yards and scores 2 rushing TD’s.
– If Jacksonville wants to make fans happy then they need to start MJD now. Speaking of Jacksonville it’s another season where I don’t believe in Blaine Gabbert as being the right QB for that organization.
– What more else is there to say about RG III’s first NFL game? I think he and Luck will be the exception to the rule that back-to-back QBs drafted in the #1 & #2 spots typically lead to one QB not being in the league sooner rather then later.
– Think the “Bounty-Gate” situation has affected this Saints organization now? I’m beginning to wonder if people were onto something when some people predicted they wouldn’t make the playoffs this season.
– The New York Jets proved preseason is pointless. Can the Jets do it again? I don’t think so, but I’ll most certainly insert foot into mouth if they can do it again next week.
– Everyone’s “sexy sleeper” playoff team this season was Buffalo. All I heard was how improved their defense got in the offseason and then I watched them let the Jets score 48 points. Yeah, about that defense…
– I love Houston as a favorite to make the Super Bowl for the AFC side and they showed that when all things click for the Texans they are a tough team to beat. I also wonder how many people are inserting their foot into their mouths after Andre Johnson played like the Andre Johnson of old. If Houston stays healthy they could be the best team in Football.
– It’s quite possible that the Miami Dolphins are the worst team in the NFL this season. I would not be shocked if they don’t win more then 3 games this year. That team is looking really bad…
– San Francisco made me eat my words as they took down the Green Bay Packers in convincing fashion at Lambeau Field on Sunday afternoon. If the Niners can stay healthy and play like the way they did in Week 1 on a consistent basis then they are the best team in the NFC without a doubt. It’s quite scary what this team could possibly do this season.
– Another season and another problem with the Packers defense. At least for Green Bay they know what they need to work on because if their defense can improve then they will be back atop that NFC pedestal they were on for a good portion of the last year and a half. This loss for Green Bay maybe a good thing for the Packers as it will hopefully wake them up for a big Thursday night game against Chicago.
– Arizona beats Seattle and Kevin Kolb looked pretty good filling in for an injured John Skelton. Kolb has a lot to prove as he will be the QB for at least the next 2-4 weeks. This is a career altering situation for Kevin Kolb right now, if he performs well then his longevity will be good and if he fails then Kolb may not be in the NFL 2-3 years from now.
– I thought the Seahawks were supposed to be the surprise team in the NFC West this season and even contend with the Niners? It definitely did not look like that in Week 1.
– Mike Bower, the host of The Bower Show, said that he believed the Bucs would win the NFC South. I thought he was crazy, just like many of you do. But after Week 1, I look like the crazy one.
– Cam Newton and the Panthers will have an uphill battle to duplicate what they did last season as an individual (Cam) & as a team. Carolina should’ve won this game but failed to do so. Hopefully this isn’t a sign of things to come for a talented squad in Carolina.
– I don’t know if you know this or not but Peyton Manning is back. I liked the Broncos to make it to at least the AFC Championship game and I still think that prediction will bode well for me. Peyton has A LOT to prove this season in a Broncos uniform.
– I have said it before and I’ll say it again, the Steelers are on a decline. They are getting older and not improving with their youth. This could be a season where they fall below .500
– Think the Ravens had something to prove after that AFC Championship Game loss? If not then ask the Bengals and their fans.
– Disappointing way to start the season for a young team who overachieved last season. It will be a true testament to see how this young squad bounces back from the tough loss.
– I am a big fan of a comeback season for Phillip Rivers and the Chargers, after Monday night that prediction still appears to be in good shape.
For more NFL talk join Bower, Chris Johnson and myself Monday – Friday throughout the Football season on 97.9 ESPN in Hartford, ESPN 1300 in New Haven and online at 979espn.com!
You can listen to Jeff on “The Bower Show” every Monday – Friday from 3pm – 7pm ET on 97.9 ESPN in Hartford, CT. You can listen online at www.979espn.com
You can follow Jeff on Twitter at www.twitter.com/therealjeffpeck
“LIKE” 97.9 ESPN on Facebook: www.facebook.com/979espn
“LIKE” The Bower Show on Facebook: www.facebook.com/bowershow
“LIKE” The Still Real to Us Show on Facebook: www.facebook.com/thestillrealtousshow
[amazon_link id=”1936635135″ target=”_blank” container=”” container_class=”” ]Fantasy Football Almanac 2012: The Essential Fantasy Football Reference Guide[/amazon_link]
[amazon_link id=”1477542981″ target=”_blank” container=”” container_class=”” ]Fantasy Football for Smart People: How to Dominate Your Draft[/amazon_link]