Let’s take a look back at some of the things that stood out from the Divisional round of the playoffs in the National Football League!
– What can you say about that San Francisco 49ers vs. New Orleans Saints game? It may have been one of the greatest NFL playoff games we have ever seen. Both teams brought it and left everything they had on the field. The outcome proved to be towards the team that had the most heart that day and it was the San Francisco 49ers who returned to NFL playoff action in style.
– I have to finally apologize to the San Francisco 49ers. I have not believed in this team 100% for the entire season. They looked like an elite team but would do something that would make you believe they cannot hang with the likes of the New Orleans Saints. Well they proved me wrong today and showcased to the world that they are for real & deserve every single amount of praise they have had all season long. I owe Alex Smith an apology as well as he gutted out a terrific quarterbacking performance in this one. Vernon Davis was the games MVP and showed up in the clutch. Do not sleep on this San Francisco 49ers team as they could shock the world for the rest of this postseason.
– Unlike the Saints/49ers game, Broncos/Patriots were nothing to talk about, as expected. The Patriots looked good and theoretically got a bye week again in a divisional round game. The offense looked great for New England and as did the defense but I am still concerned on how this team will play when they are tested. The Patriots schedule has continuously been weak for almost 2-3 months and they don’t want that test in potentially the next two games because they may not be ready for an elite team game like the NFC has had. I will be interested to see how the Patriots play in the AFC Championship Game next weekend, if it’s like the way they played against the Broncos then you better get ready for another Patriots championship parade.
– The Tim Tebow run is over and Tebowmania can rest easy for now. He wasn’t the greatest quarterback this season but he helped the Broncos win. We knew the Broncos weren’t a great team and that when they would play New England it wouldn’t be anything more then a beat down, which it was. Not sure what to think of this team yet because despite being one of the final 8 teams playing this season, they were not the best and probably the worst of all 8 teams. Offseason moves and Tim Tebow’s development early on next season will make me wonder if the Broncos can consistently be a top notch AFC mainstay again, as of right now I think this may have been nothing more then a miracle season.
– Baltimore advances to the AFC Championship Game and I don’t know if it was rust or not but they did not look that great against Houston at all. On paper this team should have stomped the Texans (similar to the Patriots did Denver) and did not. The defense played great to no one’s surprise but the offense never really got going in this one and survived off of big plays by their receivers. Ravens fans better hope they shook the rust off against Houston and shows up to play next week against New England.
– As I watched the early Sunday game I really was wondering how well Houston could’ve done had Matt Schaub been healthy. This may be a different outcome had he been as that offense sans T.J. Yates did everything they could do to win against Baltimore. Arian Foster came up big against the Ravens and when the receivers got good throws they did something with the ball to put the Texans closer in scoring range. Bad break for Houston, still a team on the rise; I like their chances on improvement next season.
– The New York Football Giants roll continues on past Green Bay after getting a huge win against the now former best team in the NFL in their home stadium. Like I said at the start of the playoffs, the Giants have the momentum and are the most dangerous team in Football right now. Giants’ fans have every reason to think this team is just like the 2007 Super Bowl team. Momentum in the playoffs is so huge and the Giants have it. They played well against Green Bay all around and made them look like a team that did not win 15 games during the regular season.
– Don’t forget to check out my NFC & AFC Championship Game preview & predictions blog later this week here at Camelclutchblog.com!
Join Bower, “The Sweet Nasty” Chris Cause & myself every Sunday for more NFL & Fantasy Football talk over at www.wheelhouseradio.com!
Jeff Peck is the producer for the “Wheelhouse Radio” program that airs every Sunday at www.wheelhouseradio.com.
Jeff also co-hosts “The Still Real to us show” with Eric Gargiulo which can be available at www.wheelhouseradio.com and can be downloaded in the “Real Guy Radio” section of the site.
You can follow “The Champ Jeff Peck” on Twitter at www.twitter.com/therealjeffpeck you can also follow Wheelhouse Radio on twitter at www.twitter.com/thewheelhouse and you can e-mail them @ firstname.lastname@example.org