This Sunday, WWE will present the 26th edition of SummerSlam from the Staples Center in Los Angeles, California. After reading this preview I hope that all of you have a couple matches to look forward to and hopefully share some of these same predictions. Even though we may differ on some thoughts, I think we’ll all agree that this year’s Summerslam is a must watch. We have two very interesting title matches, The Best vs. The Beast and the first ever Ring of Fire Match. These are my thoughts and predictions..
United States Championship Match: Dean Ambrose © vs. Rob Van Dam (Pre Show)
Prediction: Dean Ambrose retains via DQ by The Shield.
Natalya vs. Brie Bella
– Just another way to draw more attention to the Total Diva’s show. Hard to pick a winner here, it will probably end with a ringside brawl and just a crazy ending. I wouldn’t be surprised if this one ended in a DQ or no contest. I am going to go with Natalya after recently knocking off the Divas Champion.
Prediction: Natalya via pinfall.
Cody Rhodes vs. Damien Sandow
– A lot of people are complaining that this match isn’t for the Money in the Bank briefcase. I think as fans we sometimes forget logic. Why would Sandow put his briefcase on the line just for a match with Rhodes? I’m looking forward to this match and I feel like it has a chance to steal the show. They are both doing a great job making this feud more than just about the briefcase, this feud is personal. If booked right this match could elevate both wrestlers. The winner of this match will depend on the stipulation of the match. If it’s just a regular match, I think Rhodes takes it. If they announce that the briefcase is on the line, Sandow wins in dirty fashion. It’s nice to see the WWE put a little effort and attention to a midcard feud.
Prediction: Cody Rhodes
Dolph Ziggler and Kaitlyn vs. Big E Langston and AJ Lee
– One of my least favorite matches at the big PPV. There’s no reason why Big E and AJ needs to win. If the Diva’s title was somehow on the line then AJ and Big E would win or sure. I think this is the WWE’s way of Kaitlyn earning a title match again and getting a little revenge without having Kaitlyn actually beating AJ for the championship. Ziggler and Kaitlyn should get the win, Ziggler needs to push his way back into the World Heavyweight Championship picture and this can get Kaitlyn another shot at the title.
Prediction: Dolph Ziggler and Kaitlyn.
Ring of Fire Match: Kane vs. Bray Wyatt
– Never heard of a Ring of Fire match but I’m guessing it’s the same as the Inferno Matches of the past. The name switch in my opinion may be due to the Inferno Matches not being very PG, the only way to win those matches was burning your opponent. The Ring of Fire match may be a regular one on one match just inside the ring which is surrounded by fire. I don’t think we’ll actually see anybody burned here. It’s too early into the debut of his new character for Bray Wyatt to lose and a win for Kane doesn’t benefit him much. The Wyatt’s lived up to the hype so far, and I don’t see any real reason to stop their momentum now.
Prediction: Bray Wyatt
World Heavyweight Championship Match: Alberto Del Rio © vs. Christian
– I’m just not feeling this match, and why should I the WWE hasn’t given anyone a reason to look forward to this match. I thought RVD was a far better choice to face Del Rio. The fans would have been excited at the thought of RVD winning the world title from Del Rio. If Sandow cashes in after the match, the fans would be even more upset if he did on RVD than Christian. This is a tough choice, Del Rio’s time as champion is close to being over, and Christian doesn’t have much of a future ahead of him as the world champion. I could see them giving Christian the title just so Sandow cash in at Summerslam or sometime in the near future. If Cody Rhodes beats Sandow for the briefcase at Summerslam then I think Del Rio will win the match.
Prediction: Christian (NEW World Heavyweight Champion) Sandow tries to cash in but Rhodes runs interference and stops him before the match starts.
The Best vs. The Beast: CM Punk vs. Brock Lesnar
– Whatever happens in this match, a loss wouldn’t hurt either of these two men. I think this will benefit Punk more seeing as Lesnar could leave after this loss and come back at Wrestlemania and all would be forgotten by then. Punk isn’t leaving so he has to come back and face the music if he loses. Either way, this is going to be a fantastic match with two different styles and people. This should be pretty brutal and entertaining at the same time. I’m calling Punk reversing a second or third F5 into an Anaconda Vise and getting Lesnar to submit.
Prediction: CM Punk via submission.
WWE Championship Match: John Cena © vs. Daniel Bryan
Prediction: Daniel Bryan (NEW WWE Champion) Randy Orton attempts to cash in but John Cena will stop him from doing so.
What are your predictions for WWE SummerSlam 2013? Please share your thoughts and predictions in the comment section below.
Brandon Sampson currently blogs for CamelClutchBlog.com about everything wrestling, Top 5 on the Rise/Decline in the week of wrestling, as well as the weekly Monday Night Raw and WWE Main Event recap and reaction. Like him Facebook.com/CamelClutchBlogBrandon and follow him Twitter.com/CCB_Brandon
[amazon_link id=”B00DBPBQB8″ target=”_blank” container=”” container_class=”” ]WWE: Summerslam 2013 DVD[/amazon_link]
[amazon_link id=”B00CS7PJY0″ target=”_blank” container=”” container_class=”” ] The Best of WWE at Madison Square Garden[/amazon_link]