Let’s take a look back at some of the things that stood out to me in from Week 13 in the National Football League!
– Tom Brady is the favorite for the NFL MVP award right now. Don’t believe me? Then watch the Monday Night game against the New York Jets from Week 13. Then watch every game Brady has played since Randy Moss was traded out of New England. The dude has put this team on his back. That’s what MVP’s are made of.
Not only is Tom Brady the favorite for the NFL MVP award right now, but the New England Patriots emerge in my eyes now as the favorite to not only win the AFC Championship, but to be crowned Super Bowl Champions. This is a team that is playing on all cylinders the last couple of weeks and they don’t have an easy schedule at all. They’ve beaten the Steelers, Colts and the Jets in the last couple of weeks, that’s not an easy schedule at all. Mark it down; they are the favorites to win it all.
– Speaking of the New York Jets, talk about disappointment, talk about a game that can make or break your season and that’s what you got coming out of the Monday Night debacle for Gang green. The New York Jets offensively and defensively did not look good at all; they looked so bad that they gave ammunition to the critics that believe this team isn’t for real.
– Talk about shocking move this week coming out of Denver with the firing of now former head coach Josh McDaniels. There was much speculation that the firing could come at the end of this season but many people, including myself, believed that McDaniels may get one more season to prove whether or not he was worthy of a NFL Head Coaching position. That is no longer the case as after one and a half seasons as the Denver Broncos head coach, where he started his career at 6-0 and his time as head coach is over.
Bill Cowher to Denver? John Fox to Denver? Maybe Jack Del Rio? It’s definitely a position I believe many coaches would love to have due to the legacy the last twenty years.
– I don’t get this Chicago Bears team at all. They continue to win yet I believe they are a complete “smoke and mirrors” team. The sad thing of it all is they can very well be a team that has a First round bye in the NFC side of the playoffs.
– Early NFC Championship Game predictions right now is just screaming the Atlanta Falcons vs. the Philadelphia Eagles in the Georgia Dome. Atlanta has been consistent all season long while the Eagles have had a roller coaster of a year between QB battles, Injuries and amazing play during the late stretch run. If I had to pick a winner right now it would be the Falcons, they don’t lose at home, especially with “Matty Ice” lining up behind center (won 19 of last 20 home games).
– Are the same people, including this person right here, still thinking the San Diego Chargers are one of the hottest teams in the AFC? For me, my answer is very easy, no way in hell. When you lose to the Oakland Raiders coming off of a huge win in prime time against the Indianapolis Colts at Lucas Oil Stadium, your not as good as we thought you were. Sorry Dennis Green for taking your line.
San Diego can easily bounce back from this being in the AFC West, but they better hope Kansas City slips up or the Chiefs will be AFC West Champions very quick and ending the Chargers playoff hopes for 2010. Which brings me to my next thought about the Chargers…if the Chargers miss the playoffs do they fire Norv Turner? I think so.
– Can the Minnesota Vikings make a late season run at the playoffs? I hope not, I’m sick of hearing about Brett Favre. Now that Brad Childress is gone the lack of Vikings talk on Sportscenter is glorious.
– Will the Jacksonville Jaguars really be the AFC South Champions this season? Here is Week 13 they lead the division with a record of 7-5 and a one game lead over the Colts. My money is still on Peyton Manning on the Colts but this is getting interesting in the South. I’m predicting you will soon see Peyton Manning return to the top of his game the last couple of games this season.
Speaking of the Falcons game against the Bucs, how about the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for giving the Falcons a run for their money in Week 13 and almost defeating them. Had Tampa won, I think we would be taking this Bucs team as a serious playoff contender and maybe even a surprise team throughout the NFC side of the playoffs.
– Who will be the next coach to be fired? My money is on John Fox, he will finish out the season though.
– Philly and New York continue there battle for NFC East supremacy with the Eagles leading it due to the tiebreaker. I fully expect this thing to possibly be decided in the final week of the season.
– Washington has suspended Albert Haynesworth for the rest of the season (4 games), I am so shocked.
For more NFL coverage check out my sports podcast “The Wheelhouse” every Sunday – Thursday at www.wheelhouseradio.com
Jeff also co-hosts “The Still Real to us show” with Eric Gargiulo which can be available at www.wheelhouseradio.com and can be downloaded in the “Real Guy Radio” section of the site..”
If you would like to subscribe to “The Wheelhouse” on iTunes simply subscribe for free at iTunes by typing in “Wheelhouse Radio!”
You can follow “The Champ Jeff Peck” on Twitter at www.twitter.com/therealjeffpeck you can also follow Wheelhouse Radio on twitter at www.twitter.com/thewheelhouse and you can e-mail them @ [email protected].
Join ESPN Insider today for the best sports analysis online, plus ESPN The Magazine!