If you had your money on Chris Jericho chasing the Mirror Ball Trophy and not the WWE World Heavyweight Championship as his next piece of gold, first off, you’re lying, and secondly, head to the nearest lottery branch and get some scratch-offs while luck is in the air.
It was just last week when nationally syndicated radio show host and ‘That Metal Show’ host Eddie Trunk hinted that Chris Jericho had some pretty big plans in the works. Trunk and Jericho are very good friends, so when Trunk says something about Jericho, it can pretty much be taken to the bank.
Considering he probably wasn’t talking about Chris Jericho’s recent Slammy nomination for the category “Shocker of the Year”, Trunk was onto something that he literally seemed to battle with himself on the air to not spill. When you take Trunk’s comments and factor them in with the news that is coming from literally every entertainment outlet today, here is your Chris Jericho “shocker”.
The idea itself isn’t that far-fetched. Let’s not forget that Jericho did host the ABC game show “Downfall” that premiered in June 2010. The show stopped airing after only five episodes and dismal ratings, prompting people to believe that the show was canceled. Jericho later cleared up that rumor by stating that only 5 episodes of the show were taped due to time constraints and that more episodes would be filmed in the fall. Since there hasn’t been any news on any tapings for the show taking place this past fall, the assumption is that the show was indeed canceled.
This comes at a crucial time in the career of Chris Jericho. Jericho is 40 years old, has said that he intends to continue wrestling, but probably only has one run left in him. He’s one of very few active professional wrestlers that has any sort of crossover mainstream appeal. He’s one of the few wrestling names that non-wrestling fans know or have heard from. While Jericho goes across the world to promote his new book “Undisputed: How to Become The World Champion in 1,372 Easy Steps”, he’s asked the “when will you return to wrestling” question at every single stop by nearly every single fan and member of the media.
On February 1, Jericho told Brian Fritz of AOL Fanhouse that a contract to return to the WWE was 90% done. When asked about a return, Jericho gave an in-depth response: “I consider it always because it’s not like it was in 2005 where I was sick of wrestling. Sick of it is maybe a harsh word. Disenchanted, I guess, is a better word. I wasn’t disenchanted when I left in September. It was just my contract was up. That was it. And there were other things just waiting to come through. Even if I was coming back, I always would have taken those four months, three months off to do the Fozzy tours. Then other things have kind of popped up to delay my return.”
When asked about his current contractual statues with WWE, Jericho shocked us all by stating: “I mean, there’s a deal on the table. A deal on the table that’s 90-percent done. There’s a couple of minor things that we had to hammer out. It would just be a matter of what other stuff is going on and how that stuff is going.”
I don’t believe it’s a question of if Chris Jericho will return to WWE, but more of a matter of when. Maybe that 10% of the deal that is still unresolved and in-need of being hammered out is a short stint for Jericho on ABC’s “Dancing with the Stars”. The WWE has been without Jericho for months now, and given its current youth movement, a few more months without Y2J won’t hurt.
In the meantime, if you were really hoping for that Wrestlemania return for the “Ayatollah of Rock and Rollah”, you’re going to have wait just a few more months. If you want to see Jericho, you can see him attempting to Fox Trot his way into the hearts of a brand new audience around the globe.
The official cast announcement for the upcoming season of “Dancing with the Stars” has been released. TMZ.com confirms the news.
Brett Clendaniel is the owner and managing editor of WrestleChat.net.