Over the last thirteen years Bruno Sammartino has become a frequent guest of my Pro Wrestling Radio show and podcast. The topic of the WWE Hall of Fame came up every time which is why I thought it was only appropriate to find out what changed his mind from the legend himself.
Rather than speculate I thought it would be a great time to dust off the old radio show microphone and bring Bruno back on the air. I called Bruno who not only immediately accepted my invite, but started to tell me about it over the phone. I had to stop him. I wanted everyone to hear it and we set up to interview on Thursday night February 14, 2013.
The full, uncut interview is here and I must say that it is certainly worth a listen if you have any interest in Bruno and/or this story. Here are some highlights from the interview.
– Why he is going in the Hall of Fame? Everyone is giving Triple H all the credit for getting it done and he deserves a lot. But there is one man I haven’t heard mentioned that probably has more to do with Bruno going in than even Triple H.
– Who is under consideration to induct Bruno into the Hall of Fame? I have to admit that I think this one could be a little controversial. You have to hear it to believe it. As much as I love Bruno I think he may be playing this one wrong.
– How he thinks his meeting with Vince McMahon will go and what he wants to say.
– Any concerns about the WWE making him look foolish in television appearances like they have with other legends.
– The chances of calling one more match with Vince on RAW like Jesse Ventura did a few years back.
– Thoughts on recent comments Jesse made about Bruno.
– What fans can expect out of his new relationship with the WWE other than the Hall of Fame.
– Thoughts on comments CM Punk made about him during his promo.
– Will his Hall of Fame speech be scripted?
– Who were his biggest influences?
– Thoughts on going in with Bob Backlund, Mick Foley, and Trish Stratus.
– The WrestleMania 2 Battle Royal with the football players
There is much more to the interview and it runs close to an hour in length. I really think you’ll come away from the interview with a much better understanding of why Bruno is going in than you would have before listening to the interview. Bruno and I will also follow up sometime after the Hall of Fame with another interview. Stay tuned for more details.
Finally a big thank you to everyone who submitted questions on Twitter. I got a ton and tried to ask as many as possible. I’ll throw that out again next time I have him on if I missed your question or you missed out on submitting one.
[amazon_link id=”1440476985″ target=”_blank” container=”” container_class=”” ]Bruno Sammartino: An Autobiography Of Wrestling’s Living Legend[/amazon_link]