When news came out last week that the Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard match was off at UFC 130, the UFC was dealt a massive blow to their summer lineup.
Well, it’s a great thing for its fighters that the UFC put a new Healthcare plan in place earlier this week because today, the UFC’s summer plans took the worst shot possible.
Eric and I of CamelClutchBlog.com first heard whispers of Brock pulling out of this fight as early as Monday, but there was no concrete information available as to whether there was any truth to it. As the days went by, those whispers became much harder to ignore. With the rumors spreading rather quickly, UFC President Dana White was forced to acknowledge them today.
Brock is once again battling diverticulitis, the same condition that caused him to back out of his UFC 106 battle in 2009. According to the Mayo Clinic, who is treating Lesnar once again, Diverticulitis occurs when one or more diverticula in your digestive tract become inflamed or infected. Diverticula are small, bulging pouches that can form anywhere in your digestive system, including your esophagus, stomach and small intestine.
“I want to thank the UFC, I want to thank Mr. White and I want to apologize to Junior dos Santos and Spike TV,” Lesnar said on today’s conference call. “This is an unfortunate situation for me. I dodged a bullet about two years ago with diverticulitis, at that time not knowing what the problem was. … Diverticulitis is something that never goes away. It’s something I’ve dealt with since the first occurrence and I’ve been battling it.”
Lesnar continued by stating that he actually spent close to 15 hours at the Mayo Clinic in the last week while trying to decide if his most recent flare-up can be treated by medication or if surgery would be required. It had been seriously hampering his ability to train for close to three months. Still, Brock considered going through with the fight just because of the hype being drawn thanks to the current season of The Ultimate Fighter. He ultimately chose not to.
“It wouldn’t have been fair,” Lesnar said. “My health is No. 1, my family is No. 1 and it was a hard decision. I’m choked up about it and there’s nothing I can do.”
As Lesnar began to become emotional, White stepped in and said, “He’s got some serious choices to make in the next couple of weeks whether to fight this thing or to take surgery. He was all bummed out about pulling out of the fight. I told him, ‘Don’t worry about the fight.’ … I’m glad it’s not life-threatening.”
In the mean time, it’s now Junior dos Santos taking on Shane Carwin in the main event at UFC 131. Carwin, ironically, hasn’t fought since he was submitted by Brock at UFC 116 in July 2010 via arm triangle choke. Carwin was scheduled to face Roy Nelson at UFC 125 on New Year’s Day, but pulled out of the fight in November due to neck and back pain which resulted in surgery. Carwin was scheduled to face octagon newcomer Jon Olav Einemo at UFC 131. With Carwin moving up, White stated that Einemo will be given a new opponent but that one has not been chosen yet.
“I was training and my phone was blowing up so I looked over and saw some missed calls from Dana and Joe Silva. I reached out to my manager to see what was going on and he informed me that we are taking Lesnar’s spot for 131.
Junior is a serious fight and not the type of fight that you would normally take on a 30 day notice but I have a dream to chase and I do not have a lot of time to chase it. This is an opportunity to put myself in contention for the title. I know my Coaches will have me ready so I have everything to gain.
My manager said “This is where you belong” and I am going to make sure I do everything I can to prove him right.
Please help make UFC 131 one of the biggest cards in the year.
I hope Brock is able to recover. I look forward to facing him again one day.
Coming off of a serious back surgery and fresh off the first loss of his career, Carwin faces quite the task in having just 30 days to train for dos Santos. Nonetheless, a slugfest can be expected between the two men. Both men are definitely capable of knocking the other out, so a bore fest should be the last thing we get. Losing Lesnar from the card, however, will almost certainly cut the buyrate in half.
There is currently no word on how long Lesnar will be out or what’s next for him, but he said countless times during the press conference that he was not retiring and that he would be back. We have to take him at his word. Brock is a fighter, literally and figuratively, who seems confident that he can defeat this condition once again. If there’s anyone who can bounce back from this a second time, it’s Brock.
“I love this sport and I love what I do,” Lesnar said. “This isn’t the end of Brock Lesnar.”
Brett Clendaniel is the owner and managing editor of http://www.WrestleChat.net.
UFC Store: Free Shipping on orders over $50 – No Code Needed