Paul Heyman continues doing media to promote the WWE Madison Square Garden...
Top 5 Wrestlers on the Rise/Decline Week of August 23, 2013
Top 5 Wrestlers on the Rise
- Randy Orton. His time on Summerslam and Monday Night Raw was very limited. Not many can argue that these few minutes of these two shows were the most important minutes for him and the WWE. It’s been awhile since the focus has been on Randy Orton and it’s been just about as long since he’s held the WWE Championship. The way he cashed in the briefcase to win the title with Triple H’s assistance makes this a very memorable title win. I don’t think he would be as much of the focus if say he was in the title match and won it. The focus would have been on other people coming into Monday Night Raw. He will be the main focus on Monday Night Raw for some time, if you’re not a fan of the new Age of Orton I suggest to find something else to watch on Monday.
- CM Punk. We all knew he was the Best in the World, he reminded us why at Summerslam and then again on Raw. Punk lost to Lesnar, but it can be argued that it was the match of the night. The best thing coming from Summerslam is that this feud can be revisited down the road easily. Punk and Heyman aren’t anywhere near being over. Curtis Axel will take Lesnar’s role as Heyman’s protector for the rest of their feud unless we do see Lesnar sign up for some more dates with the WWE. I am enjoying the CM Punk-Heyman feud by far more than anything else going on in the WWE.
- Daniel Bryan. He might have not won the WWE Championship but it can be argued he’s in a better spot as of right now without the title than he would if he did walk out with the WWE Championship. Daniel Bryan beat John Cena. He pinned him clean. In the Main Event of the second biggest pay per view of the year. Not very many superstars can stake their claim to this. It’s very clear that he’s going to be a main focal point in the main event scene on Raw for months to come.
- Rob Van Dam. He had an awesome match against Dean Ambrose on the Summerslam pre-show. He followed it up on Raw by allowing Ricardo Rodriguez to be his manager type deal. This all but assures that he will be the next superstar to get a title shot against Del Rio. I could see them having Del Rio drop the title to RVD and Sandow cash in on RVD to get immediate heel heat. Either way RVD will be a prominent player in the main event scene on Smackdown in the coming months.
Top 5 Wrestlers on the Decline
- John Cena. I don’t wish an injury on anyone. With him being out four to six months it’s obvious he will be on the decline. It doesn’t matter if you like or hate Cena but I still would like to wish him a speedy recovery. I think they are going to keep him off television until the Royal Rumble. We will see what the future holds for Cena. Here’s hoping for a tweak to his character.
- Devon. Well we all saw on Impact, Devon was pinned in the main event meaning his termination from TNA Wrestling. I am anxious to see what TNA is going to do with this termination. Is Devon really gone from TNA forever, will he be used only as a backstage agent or creative team member. I wouldn’t be surprised if Devon does eventually return to TNA. We see this done all around wrestling when a superstar gets “terminated” or “fired” from their company, only to return to the company weeks later. Devon wasn’t a integral player in the Ace’s and Eight’s-Main Event Mafia feud so without him I don’t see that much change in the storyline.
- Diva’s Division. There is some real potential in the Diva’s division! The WWE doesn’t use it properly. The whole point of the Diva’s division now is a chance to promote Total Diva’s when in actuality they should watch Total Divas and promote the matches they have on WWE.
- Sin Cara. In his match against Alberto Del Rio on Monday Night Raw, he suffered an apparent injury. WWE has announced that it was a dislocated finger on his left hand. Add that to his already long list of injuries in his very little time with the WWE.
Brandon Sampson currently blogs for CamelClutchBlog.com about everything wrestling, Top 5 on the Rise/Decline in the week of wrestling, as well as the weekly Monday Night Raw and WWE Main Event recap and reaction. Like him Facebook.com/CamelClutchBlogBrandon and follow him Twitter.com/ThisisBDub