Subscribe

Johny Hendricks Poses GSP’s Greatest Threat At UFC 167

November 13, 2013 By: Category: Sports, UFC | Mixed Martial Arts

Georges St. Pierre has dominated one of the toughest divisions in MMA for seven years. GSP has steamrolled through challengers with very little resistance but Johny Hendricks is different. Big Rigg poses the greatest threat GSP has ever faced to his title.

I don’t think I have been more excited for a UFC fight in a long time. I always enjoy watching GSP fight even though his fights are generally pretty dull. This Saturday will be different. GSP is fighting a guy like no one he has ever faced. Johny Hendricks may not be a household name but he has every tool to dethrone the greatest welterweight of all-time.

Looking back on GSP’s seven-year winning streak you can see a predominant theme among his opponents. They are all strong wrestlers who aren’t known for their knockout power or striking. Don’t get me wrong. These aren’t cake walks but these are all guys that specialize in one area. Nobody on the list of GSP’s victims is as well-rounded as Hendricks.

Hendricks striking is ridiculous for someone with his background in this division. This division has been known for its wrestling. Hendricks matches up perfectly with the other wrestlers GSP has faced. He is a highly decorated collegiate wrestler with his one weakness possibly being his takedown defense. That is the biggest glaring weakness here that GSP, who is a takedown master, can expose. The problem is that once on the ground, Hendricks can be equally dangerous for GSP. How is GSP going to hold down someone that strong?

There is nobody that pushes forward in the division like Hendricks does. The only opponent GSP had who comes remotely close was Thiago Alves but Alves does not have the ground game that Hendricks has. Hendricks is scary because he isn’t afraid to throw down and he one of the best power punches in MMA. This is where it gets troublesome for GSP. If GSP goes for a takedown he exposes himself to a shot and that one shot may be all Hendricks needs.

GSP showed in the Condit fight that he is vulnerable to a good strike. Condit almost won the fight out of nowhere when he connected and rocked GSP. GSP recovered but an overhand left from Hendricks will turn the lights out on GSP. He made that mistake in the past with Matt Serra and paid for it but that was many moons ago. GSP has done a fantastic job of avoiding strikes to the tune of 75% according to one breakdown. But what about the other 25% that connected? All Hendricks needs is one.

The only thing stopping Hendricks from giving GSP the fight of his life at 167 is Johny Hendricks. We have seen fighters numerous times over the last 20 years step into championship match and abandon the tools that got them there. Hendricks has also never fought anyone with the takedown defense and grappling prowess of the champion. On paper this looks like the most intriguing fight of GSP’s championship run. Whether it delivers or not is always another story.

I am going with Hendricks for the upset. He is stronger, packs the power punch, and can hold his own on the ground. GSP is only 32-years old but I have to wonder how badly he wants this after expending so much mental energy against Nick Diaz. It would be hard for any athlete to return that same kind of focus after fighting his or her rival. Doing so would be one of the most impressive accomplishments of GSP’s legacy.

UFC Ultimate Fight Collection 2013 DVD

UFC shirts and videos on Amazon.com

If you enjoyed this post, make sure you subscribe to my RSS feed!

2 Comments to “ Johny Hendricks Poses GSP’s Greatest Threat At UFC 167 ”


  1. Big Rig is going to steamroll St Pierre like an 18 wheeler does road kill. No one has tried to take the fight to GSP, which is the only way to beat him, Hendricks will. Coming rite at St. Pierre, hard for as long as it takes to land the KO blow. I say round 2.

    1
  2. GSP will raise his hands at around 23:30 ! Hype won't work with me ! Come on, Hendrix is good, he earns the tittle shot, he's less dangerous than Condit, less dangerous than Jake Shield, so I know it is important to try and convince people that every fighters that challenge Georges are legit, but you'll be fucking surprise after 30 Seconds, when GSP will be on top of Hendrix, with Elbows on the wrestler face… ! That's where the mental toughness of Hendrix will break, his will will leave him. Than, Big Beard will understand the fight can be his carreer ending, he will just fucking try not to loose, or to loose without loosing the face. he won't take no risk. And the day after the Champ will be criticized for a lack luster performance… People are strange. ! Hendrix is good, but miles away from Georges. Don't be surprise !!!!

    2


Leave a Reply